Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Growing Up is NOT Easy

Yesterday was an experience as a mother. I picked Olivia up from school and after our normal exchange this conversation takes place.

Olivia: "Can I have a boyfriend?". (Let me remind you she is only 10.)
Me: "Uh, Nooooo, why?"
Olivia: "because "S" likes me and he asked me to go out this weekend and I told him I would have to let him know."

I think I just sat and blinked for a minute.

Me: "You're 10, ten year olds don't "go out".
Olivia: "Well, "C" (girl) is dating "T" (boy)".
Me: "I bet if I called her mom she would tell a different story".
Olivia: "no she wouldn't".

I'm sorry but since when did 10 years old date??????? I don't think I was aware there was such a thing when I was that age. What is a mom to do?

Well, fast forward to later at home. I had bought Olivia some new pants and a couple shirts. So she proceeds to try them on. She said the pants were too tight. She had a complete melt down. She started crying and saying she wished she was skinny, etc. I told her she had nothing to worry about. I told her she was growing and couldn't possibly stay the same size forever. So for the rest of the evening she was afraid to eat and was obsessed with what size shirts I bought her etc. Where do they learn this??? How do you make it go away?

It breaks my heart that she is already going through worrying about her weight at such a young age. Again, I don't think I was aware of those things at 10.

I guess all in all it ended on a good note for her. She talked to "C" before bed and they were laughing and giggling. I heard her say once "so, did you give "T" a hug?". Yikes!

I am SO not ready for this. :)

4 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I wish I had some sage words of wisdom for you, but I don't. Sending you big {{{hugs}}} though! Hang in there :)

Twinki said...

Do I need to call somebody?? :) Uh, this is quite unnerving. Good luck. If there's anything I can do or say to Olivia, just let me know.

gail@more than a song said...

Like the new look!
No, growing up can't be easy for these kids now a days....just pray and hang on!

Sonya said...

Yikes! I cannot imagine having to deal with this. Not sure what I'd do. Probably die of a heart attack!