Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Chores

Okay, there has to be someone out there who can give me some advice on this. Bi-bi, my 9 year old daughter, has a serious aversion to chores. She seems to think she doesn't have to lift a finger in this house. She can come and go and dump her junk everywhere and we are just perfectly content to walk over and around it. Let's not even discuss her room. You can't even see the floor most days. Does anyone have a system that works? I thought about a "chore chart" with a reward system. But I can't think of good rewards etc. Any input from you is greatly appreciated! Yelling at her non stop just doesn't seem to be working! LOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I had that problem--and I sometimes still have it with my twins, I would charge them for everything I had to pick up. I would put it in a laundry basket, and they had to pay to get it out after a week. If it wasn't paid out in a month--it was mine (donated or thrown away). This worked wonderfully. And we were able to get rid of things they really didn't need.

Anonymous said...

I think the above comment is excellent. Anything of hers left on the floor is taken away and she has to do something to earn it back.

Hope this works. Keep us posted.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I struggle with this too. I am starting a notebook that I give my kids on Sunday and they give back to me on the following Saturday. In it, they document if they did their devotions, I tell them the things I expect them to do daily, without me asking (teeth, hair, pick up dirty clothes, catch the bus, etc.) and the extra things (vaccum, windows, dust, etc.). I tell them what their base allowance amount is and then what their extra chore $ will be if they do all I asked without being asked. I also have a place where I tell them interesting things going on in our family/what I've learned in my devotions during the week/ stuff I've noticed that I am proud of them for/want them to improve upon, etc. and I encourage them to dialog back with me.
I had a friend who did this when her kids were younger and it worked well for them, so I figured I'd give it a try! I'll let you know how it goes!